Saturday 7 June 2008

'Idol' viewers give Brooke White the hook

After a performance of Neil Diamond's "I'm a Believer" this week--which curmudgeonly judge Simon Cowell dubbed "a nightmare"--"American Idol [ tickets ]" contestant Brooke White found herself booted from the talent competition Wednesday (4/30).An evening devoted to Diamond songs, Tuesday's (4/29) performance segment marked the first time the contestants--who also include David Cook, David Archuleta, Jason Castro and Syesha Mercado--sang two songs. There were no miscues for White this week, but, overall, her performance of "I'm a Believer" was panned by the panel of judges. Judge Randy Jackson dubbed it "a little karaoke." The second song, "I Am I Said," with White playing the piano, went a little better for the Mesa, AZ, native. "I really, really hated the first song," Cowell said. "It was sort of like girls' night at the karaoke bar. This is the Brooke we like, sitting behind the piano. It wasn't incredible, but it was a million times better than the first song. Well done." Well done, maybe, but Cook received the compliment of the night after singing "I'm Alive" and "All I Really Need is You." Cook paid tribute to his brain cancer-stricken brother, Adam, by placing his initials on his lapel and also on his guitar. "I feel like I'm already looking at the American Idol," said judge Paula Abdul. Cowell added, "I'm going to be honest with you, I thought the first song was OK. I thought the second song was brilliant. You actually made it feel like that song was written this year. You changed the arrangement. You made it work for you. That was smart. Well done."Archuleta, who performed "Sweet Caroline" and "America," also received good marks. "This was the absolutely perfect song for you to sing," Abdul said about "America." "Your voice is so on point."Barefoot Mercado, who was in the bottom two, let loose on "Hello" and the lesser-known "Thank the Lord for the Night Time." Jackson was proud of her performance."You know what I'm loving about you at this moment?" Jackson said rhetorically. "I think you're finally realizing who you are. I like you in this."Diamond had good things to say about Castro, who sang "Forever in Blue Jeans" and "September Morn." However, the judges didn't agree. "It was just OK," Jackson said. "That was just another OK, whatever, performance for me. Definitely not the best." Next week's performance show will feature the contestants performing material by members of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. Though White won't be crowned this year's American Idol, she and the other Top 10 contestants will be appearing on the upcoming "American Idols Live [ tickets ]" tour, which gets underway July 1.